13 June 2012

#8 - another '69 143, but in the right color

Today, I agreed in principle with the seller, to purchase another 1969 143 Ghia coupe.  This one in Chrome Blue(L51K).  Located in Portland, OR, I hired Mike Gregory at House of Ghia (Salem, OR) to inspect it and report.

I sent Mike a check late last week for $1,000, made out to the owner.  After inspection, he reported back to me and after some discussion, the seller and I agreed upon a price.  I instructed Mike to give him the check and told the seller to bill the balance through Escrow.com.

It will probably be a couple of weeks before it arrives; I have to hire a shipper and it will probably be a week moving cross country.

Ghia #8 - with EMPI 8-spokes in Portland, OR
In looking at the still pics Mike provided, I probably spent a little too much, but it is the exact car I wanted and have been looking for for the better part of 2 years.

My goal was to approximate my '66 coupe - my FIRST new car.  But rather than a '66 coupe in Bermuda Blue, I decided to look for a '69 in the slightly darker Chrome Blue (all my HS buddies told me that my '66 was a 'chick's car' - mostly due to the very light shade of blue).  In addition, the '69 model year gave me 12v electrics, front disc brakes, larger engine, Independent rear suspension, and several other technologically advanced features.

By adding disc brake kits, front and rear, in the older "wide-5" bolt pattern, and perhaps welding in an older dash, I can really make this car LOOK, cosmetically at least, like a '66. 

The "wide-5" bolt pattern would let me mount '66-only 10-slot wheels - which I consider more elegant than the '67-on 8-slot wheels!  The exterior fuel-filler door and bumper mounted backup lights are about the only post-'66 features I would want to keep!

I will get a page started in a day or two with more details.  I guess I will have to differentiate between #7 and #8 by paint code!

Right now, I think I will keep Ghia #7 (the Cyrpress Green one) as a winter car, driving this one, the convertible and the Type 34, ONLY in the summer!

Art
(O = | = O)
'67 343 Ghia Coupe
'69 143 Ghia Coupe  L62K
'69 143 Ghia Coupe  L51K
'72 141 Ghia Convertible
RIP:
'60 143 Ghia Coupe
'66 143 Ghia Coupe
'68 113 Sedan
'71 143 Ghia Coupe
'74 143 Ghia Coupe
"Always looking for NICE '66, '69,  '71 Type 14 Ghias and that elusive '66-69 "345"

No comments:

Post a Comment